Some progress has been made on the Shenandoah Division since the 06/25/02
Progress Report was posted to the web site.
On June 27, Jan came over for a work session. He and I installed 3 sets of
risers and cleats for the Wadesboro staging loop. We then installed 4 pieces of
plywood subroadbed for that loop. We also installed 4 risers for the subroadbed
between Salem and North Salem, and we spliced together 2 of the 3 pieces of
subroadbed in that area.
On June 29, Cherie and I glued the templates down at Salem and at the SX Cabin
area in North Salem. I cut additional splice plates, cleats, and risers. I cut
two triangular pieces of plywood subroadbed for the Wadesboro staging loop. I
laid 4 pieces of Vinylbed at Wadesboro and 2 pieces on the No. 1 track at Salem.
Roadbed has now been installed almost to the crossover at the CSL Salem
On June 30, I laid 3 pieces of Vinylbed at Wadesboro and 2 pieces at Salem (1
at the south end of the intermodal terminal, and 1 on the No. 2 track at SE
Cabin). I taped together additional templates for the Wadesboro staging yard,
and I glued these to the plywood subroadbed. I dismantled the Wadesboro staging
yard throat from the old layout. I attached the splice plates and corner pieces
at the Wadesboro staging loop. I cut a filler piece of plywood to transition
from the full-width subroadbed to the "cookie-cutter" at Salem. Cherie
sanded more Vinylbed.
In some spare moments on July 2 and 3, I laid a total of 5 more pieces of
Vinylbed at Wadesboro.
On the afternoon of July 4, I laid 6 pieces of Vinlybed at Wadesboro. I
dismantled the following from the V1.0 layout: the Winchester staging loop, the
north end of Salem Yard and the Shenandoah Junction to Covington section.
I also dismantled the Shenandoah Junction to Laurel portion of the old layout.
This essentially completes the dismantling of the original layout! I also
trimmed more templates for the North Salem yard. I moved the wiring supplies and
tools into one of the rolling storage carts in preparation for the long
anticipated beginning of track laying and wiring.
On July 6, I cut 4 splice plates. I installed 2 splice plates at the
Wadesboro loop, and I applied some wood filler to try to even out the lip
between the two pieces. I also laid about 6 pieces of Vinylbed at Wadesboro. I
built a riser with 2 cleats, and I screwed down the roadbed at SY Cabin to three
risers. I worked on installing the first switch machine and turnout at
Wadesboro--largely experimenting to see how much adjustment the switch machine
would need. Cherie sanded more Vinylbed, which is allowing us to reuse about 95%
of the roadbed from the first layout.
On July 7, I laid 3 more pieces of Vinylbed in the Wadesboro staging yard