Good progress continues to be made on the Shenandoah Division since the 06/02/02
Progress Report was posted to the web site. During this period, Cherie and I
did quite a bit of work on the layout, and I held one evening work session.
On Thursday, June 13, 2002, Rich came over to help me at the evening work
session. He and I installed risers at North Salem Yard. We also installed 16' of
plywood subroadbed at North Salem from the Roanoke Junction area north to middle
of yard, covering about 2/3 of the eventual yard area there.
We would have finished the job had I thought ahead and cut splice plates for
the subroadbed :-(, so I did that on the following Sunday afternoon. I also cut
additional risers to have enough to complete North Salem Yard at a later work
session. I also cut 2 vertical support braces for the Salem peninsula, and since
I was in a wood-cutting mood :-), I cut 2 pieces of plywood subroadbed for
remaining part of North Salem Yard. After sawing all of that wood, I then
installed 3 splice plates at North Salem.
I also cut the remaining risers for the Roanoke Junction area and another
support for the Salem peninsula.
On June 18, Cherie and I installed some additional paper templates at
Wadesboro staging yard. These templates have the location of the roadbed and
track marked on them, and they needed to be installed before I could continue
laying roadbed at Wadesboro.
On June 19, I installed the 3 vertical support brackets to help stiffen the
Salem/Wadesboro peninsula. I will need to add some more of these to improve the
stability of this peninsula. I also installed 4 pieces (about 10-12') of roadbed
in the Wadesboro staging yard.
On June 20, I laid 3 more pieces of Vinylbed in the Wadesboro staging yard
throat. I worked on dismantling the V1.0 Wadesboro staging loop unit.
On June 22, I laid 4-5 more pieces of Vinylbed in the Wadesboro staging yard
throat. I also cut the plywood subroadbed for the Wadesboro staging loop. I
finished dismantling the Wadesboro staging loop from the V1.0 layout, and I
started dismantling part of the staging yards from the old layout. Cherie sanded
Vinylbed from the old layout.
On June 23, I laid 5 more pieces of Vinylbed in the Wadesboro staging yard
throat. I continued dismantling parts of the staging yards from the old layout.
I am reusing the Vinylbed roadbed from the old layout, and I will be able to
reuse the old flextrack in the new staging yards. The old Peco code 55 turnouts
will be sold so that more Atlas code 55 turnouts can be purchased.
On June 24, I laid 4 more pieces of Vinylbed at Wadesboro, including the last
piece for the yard throat. I continued dismantling parts of the old layout