This page will document the construction standards and practices used
in building the CSXT Shenandoah Division. Techniques and standard supplies
used during construction will also be documented here. Articles on specific
techniques may be added to this area as construction progresses.
- 3/4" Birch plywood ripped to 3/4" x 2 1/2" for 1x3
- 3/4" Birch plywood ripped to 3/4" x 1 1/2" for 1x2
- Birch 1x2 glued together to form 2x2
- Support brackets
- Support brackets will be made from 1x3 with a 48" (nominal)
vertical support against the wall. There will be 1 x 3 joists attached to the vertical supports. One
joist will provide
support for each deck on each stud. The joists will be glued and
screwed, and a L-shaped metal reinforcing bracket or a 2x2 glue
block will be applied to
them as well.
- Plywood subroadbed
- Plywood subroadbed will be 23/32" BC pine plywood supported
on 1x2 and 1x3 risers as necessary.
- Fascia will be constructed from 1/8" tempered hardboard.
- Fascia will be painted with a custom color (from Lowe's) matched to
approximate Pittsburgh Paints' Casino Green.
- Atlas code 55 flex track
- #7 turnouts where possible; #5 elsewhere
- Track painted with washes of:
- Delta Ceramcoat Brown Iron Oxide on rails
- Polly Scale Railroad Tie Brown on ties
- Polly Scale Grimy Black on ties and rails
- Backdrops will be constructed from 1/8" tempered hardboard.
- Backdrops will be painted with Glidden color "Azure Afternoon."
Glidden code is 89BG 37/353, and can be mixed at Home Depot.
- Rolling stock
This page was last updated on