Visible progress on the Shenandoah Division has been slow since the
10/30/2003 Progress Report, but work does continue
to be accomplished. Most of the current projects underway are related to wiring
various portions of the trackage that has been completed so far. This work will
continue throughout the fall and winter as we work to get the layout to
operating status. The work associated with wiring the layout does not really
translate well to pictures.
As the wiring of the railroad progresses, I have been cutting gaps in the
rails for detection purposes at appropriate locations. I've been dropping
feeders along the route, and I installed the second BDL162 block detection card.
Cherie and I took advantage of some of the nice warm fall weather to prime
and paint sections of Masonite for backdrop and fascia. At this point, most of
the needed backdrop sections have been completed and await installation later in
the winter and spring. Since we had nice weather earlier in November, I also cut
the final piece of plywood subroadbed for the south end of the
Connellsville/Winchester staging yards in preparation for installation later
Once I had installed the second BDL162, Marcus and Larry came up for a work
session. Marcus made more than 100 pairs of feeders for future installation
around the railroad, and he also wrapped electrical tape around the Rail A wire
from MC Cabin to Broad Run and Laurel to Shenandoah Junction to insulate all of
the feeder connections. While he was doing these tasks, Larry and I soldered
feeders to the Rail B wire from SE Laurel to the Hays Creek block. Once we had
done that, we also installed wires to activate 7 detection sections from the
south end of Laurel, Va. to the north end of the Hays Creek block (near the
south portal of the Mud Run Tunnel). In doing this wiring, we have now placed
the mainline and passing siding at Laurel into service, along with the mainline
from the north end of Laurel through Shenandoah Junction to just south of Mud
Run Tunnel (near High Meadow, Va.).
Following up on the wiring progress, Jan and Chuck came over for a work
session. We installed the risers and plywood subroadbed connecting Carpenter and
Covington during that session. Since the session, I have laid Subvinylbed and
Vinylbed from the north end of Carpenter well into the town of Covington in
preparation for future track installation. The next progress report will likely
show the progress of the track gang.
Unfortunately, a lot of the progress made since the last report doesn't
translate well to photos, but I have included some pictures below of the
significant work that has been done.