Significant progress has been made so far in August. More benchwork and track
have been installed.
On August 9, I laid 3 more turnouts and 4 pieces of flextrack at Wadesboro. I
unsoldered feeders from about 1/3 of the code 80 track salvaged from the V1.0
layout. This track will be used in the staging yards on the V2.0 layout. I also
finished working on an area of the Wadesboro loop where I had to apply wood
filler to smooth the transition between two pieces of plywood.
On August 10, I laid several more sections of flextrack, along with rerailers,
at Wadesboro. I use a 2' section of flextrack coming off of the turnout and then
insert a rerailer. I then lay another piece of flextrack (usually 3') before
inserting another rerailer. I also laid a second piece of code 55 flex between
Wadesboro and SE Cabin at Salem.
On August 11, I cut two fascia support boards for the north end of Salem and
south Carpenter in preparation for an upcoming work session. I also laid 3 more
pieces of flextrack and 3 more rerailers at Wadesboro.
On August 12, Cherie and I glued the templates down at the Wadesboro loop area.
On August 14, I laid 1 rerailer and 1 piece of flextrack in Wadesboro. I also
laid 6 pieces of Vinylbed at Wadesboro loop.
On August 15, Jan, Rich, and Scott came over for a work session. Jan desoldered
feeders from all the rest of the track from the V1.0 layout so that it could be
reused in the staging yards. Rich and Scott attached fascia boards at the north
end of Salem and south end of Carpenter. They also attached one of the
mini-peninsula supports to the cased opening, and they corrected the orientation
of the joists on the other mini-peninsula support. Rich, Scott, Jan, and I
installed the 5 wall brackets in the other room in the MC Cabin/NE Ridgemont
area. I also laid 1 piece of Vinylbed in Salem.
On August 16, I laid 6 pieces of Vinylbed in the Salem area.
On August 17, I laid 22 pieces of Vinylbed in the Salem area around to North
Salem at SX Cabin and in the Wadesboro loop. This effort included both the No. 1
and No. 2 track, as well as the yard lead. I also laid 1 turnout in the staging
yard at Wadesboro.
On August 19, I started laying the mainline at the south end of Salem. I laid
about 2.5 pieces of code 55 flex and 2 #7 turnouts in the SE Cabin area.
On August 20, I laid 2.5 pieces of code 55 flex and 2 more #7 turnouts to take
the No. 1/No. 2 tracks to the crossover south of the CSL Intermodal Terminal.
On August 21, I laid 1.5 pieces of code 55 flex and 2 more #7 turnouts to
take the No. 1 track to SY Cabin and the No. 2 track to the CSL Intermodal
On August 22, I laid 2 pieces of flextrack and 3 more #7 turnouts to take the
No.1 track to the crossover at SY Cabin and the No. 2 track to the yard lead at
SY. I also laid 2.5 pieces of Vinylbed to complete the roadbed for the CSL Salem
Finally, on August 23, I laid 1 piece of flextrack between the yard lead turnout at SY Cabin and the crossover on the No. 2
track, which leads to the milepost of having both mainlines laid from SE Cabin
to SY Cabin at Salem.
With the start of track-laying, the momentum has returned to the construction
of the CSXT Shenandoah Division, and I expect to continue to make good progress
into the fall.